Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Great Thaw


I woke up late this morning and I could hear birds outside of my window. The baby was still sleeping beside me. I laid there listening. Something was wrong. The light in the room felt different. So, I got up and  pulled the curtains back. The snow had melted, leaving little white islands in a sea of brown mud and dead grass. The thaw WAS here.

A gray squirrel ran across the sidewalk, carrying something that resembled a chocolate chip cookie. I realized I wasn't wearing my glasses. He crawled up the side of a maple tree, found a branch and started munching away. I breathed in deeply, spring was coming, I could smell it. Binker woke up and I carried her from room to room, opening the windows. I wanted to blow the stale winter air right out the windows and let in a little springtime.

I can't help but, think of my husband. He works in a building that is sealed up. You can't even open the windows. The same stale air is recycled through the vents. Over and over again. Day in and day out. He works in a ziploc bag. It's inhuman, especially, on a day like today.

I realize my celebration is a little premature. I know better than to assume winter is over. But, I am so happy to get a little break from old man winter. And, just like the squirrels and the birds, I feel like I need to move. Something I haven't felt in awhile.

 I can smell spring.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder how many other people had a chance to open their windows today. It was lovely, except for the mud. But then, you just look up, close your eyes and you can feel spring.

    ReplyDelete