Sunday, November 21, 2010

Squash Living

PUMPKINS, BUTTERNUT, and ACORN SQUASH! With all of the excess squash around the house I've been up to my elbows in pumpkin innards and seeds.  I understand now, why these guys were so important for Native Americans, and later for the Europeans, who came to call this place home. They're easy to grow, they keep well, and they're suppose to be packed full of vitamins.
So far, we've eaten them in soups, we've baked em', we've mashed em' up like potatoes, and we've roasted their seeds for snacks. There is plenty more left too. So, the experimenting continues. I'm hoping to make some breads, pancake batter and biscuits. Oh, and I've also read you can add them to smoothies. But, I think I'll pass on that one. I am also going to pass on the pie, because my mother in law makes the best pumpkin pie. Here is a "recipe" I made up the other day:
 ------------------------
-Butternut Squash Mash-
 One whole butternut squash
Handful of Maple Sugar
Salt
Pepper
Palmful of Fennel Seed (opt.)
Wash squash and then chop the stem off. Slice the squash in half and then in half again. Remove any seeds or goopy stuff from the center (We use an icecream scoop). Then, rub oil onto the squash. Bake in the oven 350 Degrees until the flesh is easily pierced with a fork. Time varies depending on the size. Allow to cool a little and the skin will peel off easily. Place in a bowl with your spices and mash with a potato masher.   
--------------------------
I know the measurements aren't very good but, that's just how I cook. I guess that's why Boy does most of the cooking. I'm usually the baker. :)
So, got any good squash recipes for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment