Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Summer Knows







The summer smiles, the summer knows,

And unashamed, she sheds her clothes; The summer smoothes the restless sky, And lovingly she warms the sand on which you lie. The summer knows, the summer's wise, She sees the doubts within your eyes, And so she takes her summer time Tells the moon to wait and the sun to linger, Twists the world 'round her summer finger, Lets you see the wonder of it all. And if you've learned your lesson well, There's little more for her to tell; One last carress - it's time to dress for fall.






- Barbra Streisand, 1971
From the movie "Summer of '42" 
It is official summer has come to an end. We're starting to get squashes and small pumpkins from the garden. And the dog days seem to have disappeared rather quickly. The weather has been nice and cool lately. This time of year is always bitter sweet for me. Autumn means Boy is back to work. The days are getting shorter. The blueberries and strawberries are all eaten up or sitting in ziploc's in my freezer. No more beach days, no more campouts, fireworks or parish festivals. Gone are days of waking up, drinking coffee and sitting on the bed watching the baby wake up slowly, while fighting over the crossword puzzle.
Bitter sweet though it is, I could never live somewhere that didn't have four distinct seasons. I love the feeling I get when the season's change. It's a process:
First, there's denial (there's plenty of time to go blueberry picking again)
Then Second, comes the guilt (I should have started a fall garden this year and why didn't I
weed more?)
Third, anger (Friggin' WEEDS!)
And then, depression ( Goodbye corn on the cob...*sniff*)
The upward turn, ( I look better in sweaters than I do in shorts)
Then comes reconstruction and working through, (No more mosquito's, awesome)
And finally hope, ( What kind of ridiculous costume can I force Sweets into this Halloween?)
The changing seasons give me that ability to reflect on the past and still have hope for the future. Well, enough pining for summer. Time to look forward to autumn. I'm going to go eat some squash.
--------vaarwel-----
---------

No comments:

Post a Comment